This past Saturday morning, I set my alarm clock for the same time that my weekday schedule requires, dragged my behind out of bed, and rolled into Stratejoy’s 101 Things To Do Before You Go workshop. I had signed up in advance so I was well aware of the need to wake up early on the weekend, but when the day arrived, I second guessed myself. My husband signed up for the class too; he definitely wondered why he agreed to go when the alarm sounded.
Despite the early rise, I must say it was the most productive four hours I have had this month. It gave me the opportunity to reflect on myself, my relationship, and my values; challenged me to think about where I want to go and what I want to accomplish in the next ten years. Would it surprise you that almost half of the items that made it onto my list are food-related? Depending on how well you know me, probably not, but it made me realize how incredibly passionate I am about the subject.
I have a few small, easy to check off goals like loading new songs on my iPod or learning how to can fruits and veggies.
Having kids is definitely a big goal and attending culinary school, a lofty goal. I have spent the last few years waffling on the latter. I do not want to be a restaurant chef, but I aspire to teach others how to cook (that is on my life list too).
This version of my life list is my 36 before 36, check boxes of skills and thrills I want to have and experience in the next ten years. Where do I start? What should I check off first? Before I worry too much, I decided that the first step is to declare it to the world. Here it is world (or slice of world that may happen to stumble upon this blog post). In no particular order, here is my life list.
- Take a hot air balloon ride.
- Taste wine in the South of France. (Charlie and I just booked a trip for next June. Where should we go?)
- Take a French cooking class, in France.
- Take a Spanish cooking class, in Spain.
- Take an Italian cooking class, in Italy.
- Keep a garden year round.
- Own and operate my own business.
- Help my mom launch her new product line.
- Take the 29gifts.org challenge.
- Teach someone how to cook. (Ideally an underprivileged family through a local volunteer organization.)
- Visit the west coast of Australia.
- Take a trip to Las Vegas with my family when my youngest brother turns 21. (So close.)
- Finish painting all of the rooms in our house. (My husband put this one on his life list too!)
- Prepare a multi-course dinner for my friends and family.
- Go to culinary school.
- Have 10,000 visitors to my blog.
- Publish an article.
- Dig for and prepare a geoduck.
- Read The Little Black Book of Style and follow as least five tips.
- Take a food and/or travel writing class.
- Have kids.
- Make a habit of placing worries in my God box, giving my fears up to the Universe.
- Take a yoga vacation, or keep a yoga regimen while on vacation.
- Join/assist with the Delridge Produce Co-op.
- Join a business networking group.
- Prepare my own lunch every day.
- Update the song list on my iPod.
- Keep our house clean and clutter free.
- Learn to can fruits and veggies.
- Sell our fruit wine at a farmers market.
- Reach our goal amount for our savings account.
- Travel to New York City. (Can you believe I have never been?)
- Visit New Orleans.
- Own and drive a hybrid or similar fuel efficient car.
- Attend a Minnesota Wild game at the Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul, MN.
- Record the song I wrote for Charlie for our wedding.
If you happened to scope something out you might be able to help me with, raise your hand. I would be overjoyed to return the favor by helping you complete your own life list, food-centric or otherwise.